2015's first new project Typhoon IB

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BsYamato
Addicted Member

Re: 2015's first new project Typhoon IB

Post by BsYamato »

You're right Stick , modern detailed kits that fits good are fun to build but.. Old or short run kits are another question and when finished these bring more pride to show :bow:
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

What a progress on this old Lady! You will hit it with some camouflage paint in, let´s say, two days? :bye:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thomas_M wrote:What a progress on this old Lady! You will hit it with some camouflage paint in, let´s say, two days? :bye:
I wish... unfortunately my days off are already over and I go back to work tomorrow... I will be lucking if I can get the interior base colors on...
BsYamato wrote:You're right Stick , modern detailed kits that fits good are fun to build but.. Old or short run kits are another question and when finished these bring more pride to show :bow:
Yes, the pride of customizing, especially when improvised/scratched, is hard to beat...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok, my final update for this weekend before I return to work in a couple of hours...

Looking up thru the rear of the chin radiator during test fitting, I saw that there was some serious empty space in there... to borrow from Pink Floyd's "The Trial", "This will not do..." so first I looked up some cutaway views and saw that the oil cooler fills most of that void... then I cut some scrap sheet plastic to shape to match the kit part and glued it to the rear of the kit part. Then some fine mesh super glued on for that radiator texture and there we have it... on test fitting, it fills the void just right...

after that I wanted to busy up the bottom of the wing in the area that is visible thru the feet troughs, that will be empty when the guys at IPMS with their little penlights peek in there... so I added a couple of wing spars and a crossmember for the bottom of the cockpit framing...

Oh yeah, I sanded the wing gluing seams as well...

and finally I hollowed out the bores a bit for the wing guns... yikes!

Now it is all ready for interior paint over the next several days...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Tagging along for the ride as well. I've got a Tamiya Typhoon non-tear drop canopy kit in my stash.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

hyee, I heard thru the IPMS grapevine, that they are getting rid of those little lights and dentist mirrors. Our club no longer allows judges to use those. :what:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

stik -

I got my Winter edition of Micromark catalog and came across this tool called a Plastic Modeler's Chisel this tool I think you might like:

http://www.micromark.com/4mm-Plastic-Mo ... ,7584.html

You can get it either 4mm or 2mm.

You sign up to get their free catalog too. Loads of neat hobby tools and stuff. Check it out!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Blacksheep, I don't recall any Tamiya Typhoon kits... Perhaps you have the Hasegawa kit? That little chisel tool looks handy... A bit more precise than an xacto knife...

Owl, the judges in our chapter don't use lights or mirrors either, but some of the old timers still do.... And chapter contests are open voting by all members, except for theme award and best of show...I just like to have stuff in openings for those who take the time to look...

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Jim. I want to get this one done rapidly. Not too fast, but not a long drawn out build either....

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”