Bf-109 wing question-opinions needed.

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Bf-109 wing question-opinions needed.

Post by Gary Brantley »

Medicman71 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:21 am Man that looks great Gary!
Thank you so much, Mike! :bow: Slowly getting it done! :grin:
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Well, I did experiment with the various RLM 79 paints somewhat. First, I mixed up some of the new Humbrol enamel and did the '79 touchups. I also sprayed some on the back of a car dealer's plastic car tag as test to compare the three brands. Then I tried the Vallejo on the model. In all honesty, it was hard to see much difference between it and the Humbrol. The Mr. Paint RLM 79 was also very similar on the test surface, so I didn't use it on the model. That might not have been a good idea, as I had some concern about paint compatibility. 🤔 Then I mixed up some Humbrol 63, matt sand, which is also their equivalent of the lighter, earlier RLM 79 and used it for the faded areas, sprayed through the Uschi splatter mask.

I thought about further lightening the original Humbrol '79 with some white for more variation, but decided against that, figuring I had better leave well enough alone. :wink:

This morning, I gave the topside a coat of Future in order to protect it from more scratches and scuffs. I had a little issue with blushing with the Future in a spot or two, unusual really, but probably because I was sticking with my new Gaahleri airbrush and I'm still on the learning curve with it. I do like it a lot so far. 👍 But, after the Future dried, it seemed sort of rough to my fingers, so I wetsanded most of the surface to get it smoother. When the bottom is ready for Future, I'm going to hook up my Paasche H and spray it again through that one. I believe that will give me a better result for the glosscoat. We'll see 'bout that! :wink: :grin:

Later today, the two bottom shades get a little touching up and then some Future on them too. I should be ready for the decals pretty soon. The replacement wing caught my eye when I first got the Iliad Decals sheet and thought it helped give the one-color topside some extra "flavor". I like how it looks! 😄
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

You'd be surprised how one paint brand differ from another by shade. That's why I often compare color shades to make a final decision on the subject I will use it on. Very rare I find them to be just about the exact shade.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Most companies colors will not exactly match any given color, let alone that of another paint company. And in real life the paint color usually starts to change once it has left the painting shop of the factory, all depending upon length and location of the item’s service life. Pick the paint color that you prefer for that and go with that.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stikpusher wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:08 pm
BlackSheep214 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:57 pm You'd be surprised how one paint brand differ from another by shade. That's why I often compare color shades to make a final decision on the subject I will use it on. Very rare I find them to be just about the exact shade.
And in real life the paint color usually starts to change once it has left the painting shop of the factory, all depending upon length and location of the item’s service life. Pick the paint color that you prefer for that and go with that.
So true! As you said, Carlos, I usually pick the color that seems "right" for the job, after consulting photos/reference. If it looks close enough, I'm good with it, regardless of the FS or RLM code. :wink: :grin:

Return to “Modeling Discussion”