M4 Sherman & M5 Stuart

Here is the place to show of your finished armor products.
lawman56
Advanced Member

M4 Sherman & M5 Stuart

Post by lawman56 »

As I mentioned in my Sheridan posting, I created two centerpieces for the 73rd Cav's Regimental re-union. The second is this one titled "Shortcut At Cassino". During my research, I discovered that the 73rd can trace their lineage to the 756th Tank Battalion during WWII. The first major battle the 756th took part in was the assault on the village of Cassino, Italy. Nasty mess, from what I've read and heard. The 756th was unique, in that it had a scout company of M5 Stuarts as well as companies of M4 Shermans. I thought a small street scene involving both might be fun, so I did it.

Here's the M4, taking the "shortcut". I hand made all the loose bricks out of wall plaster. Tedious, but worth it. I also made the "timbers" out of pieces of balsa. All of the buildings are commercially made plaster castings with resin details. All I did was assemble, paint and weather. The street is resin. I felt the Italian propaganda poster was appropriate.

Here's the only decent photo of the Stuart. Again, I apologize for my lack of photography skills, but I'm working on it. The M5 is in it's North Africa camo scheme, most of the 756ths armor wore this pattern until they went in for repairs. Then they were more often than not, over-painted in OD green.

As always, thanks for looking! :D
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Stikpusher

Re: M4 Sherman & M5 Stuart

Post by Stikpusher »

This one looks real good as well!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I think I remember those builds...do I? Amazing work. Buildings look as real as can be. How did you make the bricks?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow. That's an incredible dio and build on the tanks. Very nice!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

LyleW wrote:I think I remember those builds...do I? Amazing work. Buildings look as real as can be. How did you make the bricks?
You may Lyle, I've posted them at LSM as well as here.

As for making the bricks, here's where my OCD/AMS kicks in. I took an old piece of scrap plywood and taped 4 pieces of cardboard to it, creating a frame. Then I applied fine grit sheetrock compound, filling my frame and leveling it to the cardboard. Taking a ruler, I measured the existing bricks in milimeters, then gently scribed those dimensions into the plaster using a straight edge and dental pick. Once the plaster had dried, I covered the whole thing with a cloth, and lightly tapped on it with a plastic screwdriver handle. A majority of the bricks broke free intact, but some fractured, which added to the realism.

Then I painted and weathered each brick individually, (I know, I'm nuts....), using Floquil Brick Red and various colored washes. Once they had dried, I dipped each brick in white glue, held them with tweezers at the approximate height of the building, and dropped them onto the Sherman. Seemed like a logical way to simulate falling walls.... :D
Joe

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks for the information! Sounds pretty straightforward.

No, Doctor,, I don't know why he is bent over a piece of cardboard, mumbling, cussing, drawing lines in a puddle of wet plaster. We must increase his medicine now. I suppose another shot of happy-happy-juice would be in order...........
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Sadly, my meds are already maxed........... :lol:
Joe

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Joe, then paint another brick, on me! Now I know where my bricks went..I appreciate your good humor and strength!

Return to “Completed Builds: Armor”