Tonado GR.4 | Revell | 1/48

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Tonado GR.4 | Revell | 1/48

Post by tigrazor »

Color scheme: TBA.

Why TBA? Well, I always wanted to do a desert camo Tornado. The main problem is that theres no GR.1 version of the very beautiful kit, theres IDS and GR.4. Maybe it is possible to rebuild it to a GR.1 easily? Youre maybe smarter here. ;)

And here a bit of luck came in. I found a great decal sheet from XtraDecals (X48171), which features a 25th anniversary of Gulf operations in Lossiemouth 2016.

WOW! I really hope the owner of my favourite shop can get me these. Besides, the Tornado will get some add ons like PE etc. I heard that some IPMS guys had issues with wishy washy details, not me so far. As far as I can see all details are clearly there and for 25 € its a bargain (fo comparison: the smaller AMK Kfir C2/7 cost me 10 bucks more). Never mind, that kit is beautiful as hell. One thing to keep in mind is the unusual conception of its belly, it consists of several parts and a bit of precise prework is useful.

Plan B if the Lossiemouth decals arent available is the OOB scheme (No.41 Sqn, Coningsby 2011).

"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
Stikpusher

Re: Tonado GR.4 | Revell | 1/48

Post by Stikpusher »

The IDS and GR.1 are nearly identical. I believe the only difference that can be seen are some antennas. I am not overly familiar with the details. And of course the load outs carried.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
nathant
Advanced Member

Post by nathant »

You definitely can make a GR 1 out of Revells GR 4 boxing. You will use only one chin pod and still use the Port side canon? No GPS antenna on the GR 1?
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Nice PE additions to the seat, Lucas! Hope to see some progress still in 2016, hehe... :giggles:
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

Happy new year everyone.

Thomas - had no time for the Tornado in the last days due to the visit of Janetts sister & husband & kids. At least brother-in-law and me were able to cut & paint the X-mas present for his son (Revell TIE fighter). His son did the glueing and he loved it. So dont wonder if there will be another Bavarian pro modeler in a few years.

;)

Back to the Tornado - after taking a loooong sleep today some time was left after the visitors went back home. So far, the main body parts were put together and now it really looks like Tornado.

mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Frohes Neues, Lucas! :drum:

Good to see that bird pre-assembled. Heard some so la la-comments about that kit.
But you'll master it anyways, no doubts on my side.
nathant
Advanced Member

Post by nathant »

Nice work Lucas. How is the fit of the intakes? I'm building the IDS kit right now but I'm not as far along as you. The fit is ok I think but I'm a bit nervous about the intakes and the cockpit to main body fit.
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

Dir auch! ;)

So far the kit really has its light & shadow, but more light. Maybe my own mistake, but I needed some plastic sheet for the front end of the vertical rudder/upper hull connection. Nothing serious. And: the fit of the wings is a bit tricky too, once installed nevertheless very convincing. Just take care about the glue/no glue areas shown in the instructions.

Cockpit/main body: fits perfect here

Intakes: a bit tricky too, but so far very good (outer parts and air flow need to be installed).

What caused a little problem here is the air brakes, here a little bit of plastic sheet was neccessary to get it done.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”