Philippines Air Force Northrop F5-A Freedom Fighter

Post your completed aircraft here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Philippines Air Force Northrop F5-A Freedom Fighter

Post by Gary Brantley »

The kit is the ancient Testors (ex-Hawk?) 1/48 F5-A. It's not much of a build but I've always loved the look of this series and all the variants. One of the pilots I met at the Rockdale airport told me he had trained in the T-38 and said how much he had enjoyed it...he said, "hey, they're still using it today so something must be right!" :D

This model was built about 18-22 years ago (back when I was working a kit almost everyday). I built it concurrently with a ESCI (ex-OEZ?) MiG-21. Sure enough, the MiG-21 went to Rockdale too. Pics of that visit are forthcoming. A bit of a preview of sorts:

Again, thanks for letting me bore you all! Here's she is, with the old hangar at Coffield Regional Airport filling in as a rural airstrip in the Philippines ;) :

Check out that "area-ruled" fuselage!

And, more images can be seen here:
http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Texgunne ... %20Fighter

Thanks. Gary
Last edited by Gary Brantley on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Philippines Air Force Northrop F5-A Freedom Fighter

Post by LyleW »

Nice! I don't think I've ever seen the country name abbreviated like that! something new every day.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

F5's are neat little planes!
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice pair of early hot rods there! You are correct on their origins. The F-5 is a re box of the Hawk kit and the Mig came from OEZ originally.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stikpusher wrote:Nice pair of early hot rods there! You are correct on their origins. The F-5 is a re box of the Hawk kit and the Mig came from OEZ originally.
Thanks Stik! And thank you Lyle! I remember when I built them, thinking how similar their circumstances were; both were low-cost fighters sold to 3rd world client states. I thought of it as a "theme" I guess. Sort of like other "schemes" I've envisioned ie. Century Series Fighters, World War Two Twin-engined bombers, bi-plane fighters of the 30s, etc. And, damned if I don't have plenty of each "idea" in my stash. All I need is motivation and time! :lol:
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Very sharp F-5.
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

lawdog114 wrote:Very sharp F-5.
Thank you Joe! Much obliged. :D

Return to “Completed Builds”