What's the accepted behavior on constructive criticism?

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Re: What's the accepted behavior on constructive criticism?

Post by AIRFIXER »

"2. Constructive criticism is allowed if everyone leaves their egos at the front door. Criticism worded as pointers / tips on how to achieve better results. Absolutely never become personal".

Agreed!

Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots.
(Frank A. Clark)
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

If I post,I expect feedback both praise and recomendations.It's all about improving.If I don't agree with it,I will not apply it.But really all comments are welcome.

It's much better then posting and being totally ignored except by a moderator.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

An honest critique delivered with tact is far more valuable than pages of "well done/attaboys' that say nothing else. I am very much in agreement with Jimmy about dissing a particlar shade of this company's non slip gelb vs that company's non slip gelb. But I have no problem with a critique as to why it should be or not be Bronze Green or Dull Dark Green as opposed to Interior Green. I can incorporate that stuff into future projects.
Is it me, or am I the only one who see's humor in a post with refernce to cloning from a guy who uses a sheep as his avatar? ;)
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Stikpusher wrote:An honest critique delivered with tact is far more valuable than pages of "well done/attaboys' that say nothing else. I am very much in agreement with Jimmy about dissing a particlar shade of this company's non slip gelb vs that company's non slip gelb. But I have no problem with a critique as to why it should be or not be Bronze Green or Dull Dark Green as opposed to Interior Green. I can incorporate that stuff into future projects.
Is it me, or am I the only one who see's humor in a post with refernce to cloning from a guy who uses a sheep as his avatar? ;)

True Stik,but it's nice to let the poster know that someone is looking.It gives you the sense of belonging,and compliments are free.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh definitely it is nice to get the attaboys. But it's nice for the viewer to say more than well done. Ask a question about this or that if you have no critique to add. How did you do this? What did you do for that? I built that kit x months/years ago and hit this snag, how did you deal with that? I think most builders love to share that sort of stuff.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
nathant
Advanced Member

Post by nathant »

Just give it to me straight, I can handle it. :cry: But really, try and even out the criticism and the positive comments. I've seen threads where one guy goes off and lists all the inaccuracies and also all the construction flaws one by one, then ends by saying, well, nothing else. At least try to find one good positive about the build.
DoogsATX
Advanced Member

Post by DoogsATX »

I wonder how much rivet counter/accuracy criticism is driven by the fact that it's easier to say, in effect, "that shade of green is too bright" or "the Revademy kit has totally inaccurate floozer intake strummers" than call someone out on technique?

Wrong paint? Paint's fault. Wrong shape? Kit's fault. Shoddy shedding and pooled paint or whatever? That's a person's fault. And I suspect maybe in attempting to be nice about things we end up criticizing tools and supplies instead...
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I say, number 2, constructive critism is acceptable. When you give a critique one should try in beeing balanced, also note the positive. Furthermore, I try to avoid "absolute" words and sentences like "you must do XYZ", "XYZ is wrong", "it is common knowledge that....", etc.
I try to use "softer" sentences like: "may I suggest", "as far as I know", "you could use ....". Because when I critique I am giving my interpretation of that model and not an absolute truth.

And when recieving a critique I try to remember that it is not personal.

Lastly, I take into account what I know of this modeller. What is his skill level? And how long is he on the forum? If I know somebody from the forum for a year or more I can be a bit more upfront with my critque because there is more mutual trust.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Talk to a friend. Behave as a friend. Try to comment, help and share in a positive way.

Return to “Free Discussion”