Admin

Re: DML Dragon Hetzer Tank Destroyer Early 1:35

Post by Thomas_M »

Still recovering, Kermit? I am hungry for any update on your Hetzer! :bye:
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

Hi Thomas. Hey, don't you worry i am still working on my little tank destroyer but currently the bench and it's contents are stored in boxes.

A good thing, since we are remodelling some rooms in the house here and i would end up having a dedicated indoor spot to work from. Right now i am doing assembly work at the kitchen table and spraywork in the backyard. Not ideal since it is dusty. hot and uncomfortable here in the Phoenix desert.

Hope to back up and running very soon people!
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I´d much prefer to be with you in the Phoenix desert than here in icy Germany... Do you know Montezuma´s Well? Love this place!
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

That's in Camp Verde right? I have driven past it several times but have not visited yet
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Got a link of it that should help to locate it: Montezuma Well, and another one: Click me!
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

Good news, i held an airbrush today and managed a next modulation layer! :yahoo:
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I never got this "Modulation" fashion, maybe I am too old school. Will gladly wait for any pictures when ready, though.
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

Progress! Finally been able to have some benchtime and complete the initial paintwork. About six layers were sprayed, bottom to top and progressively lighter shades. Next step is highlighting all protruding parts and details in an even lighter shade
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

As said in my previous post: waiting for the finished picture. Having seen ads and pack shots of such "colour modulation" stuff I never got the reason for doing so. Just watched a Swiss Hetzer on Youtube and no such colour modulation recognisable for me on the real deal. But well: curious for the finished article here. We are here to live and learn.
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

Thomas,

You won't see any of this in real life, that's true. Colour modulation in it's essence is "fake". It is a technique to paint light and shadow on a model as if the sun is pointing at it, darkening the area's that are not touched by it and lightening those that are.

Look at any monochromaticly finished item around you, standing in the sun. Even though it only has one colour, you will still perceive variation in the colour because it is lighted in a certain way. That is exactly what modulation tries to mimic. Not to everyone's taste i will agree but i find it very interesting and useful to be able to use the technique at will.

Contrast right now is very stark, and with the highlights added the contrast will be even more cartoonesque but the subsequent weathering layers will fade that out, you will see....

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”