1/72 Airfix Bf 109-E3

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Mikey

1/72 Airfix Bf 109-E3

Post by Mikey »

Well, what can I say about this little gem? It has a nice bit of basic detail in the pit. The fuse is on the thick side however, and the sights sit a tad on the low side under the wind screen. There's room for some improvement there.
The pilot sits low as if there is no chute under him. I carefully removed his head, drilled a shallow hole in his body, extended his neck with some stretched sprue, and stuck it back on, turned to his left. That adds a bit more life to him.

The cowling can be left off to show the engine, but because the parts are so thick this is more of a gimmick because it leaves the engine undersized to compensate.

But it has all fit together very well with only one spot of putty in front of the windscreen. But I suspect that was my error.

The first thing that struck me as unusual was the size of it lol. Why do 109's always look so much smaller than they should? Lol!

[image]http://www.use.com/images/s_2/a68f362d53edd0780c61_1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.use.com/images/s_2/a68f362d53edd0780c61_2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.use.com/images/s_2/a68f362d53edd0780c61_3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.use.com/images/s_2/a68f362d53edd0780c61_4.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.use.com/images/s_2/a68f362d53edd0780c61_5.jpg[/image]

The pilot actually painted up nicely for such a tiny little fella. Not much to write home about in the pit. The pilot takes up most of the space so he became my focal piece in there.

[image]http://www.use.com/images/s_2/2282ae69630e6f0e29d3.jpg[/image]

Not the first time I've painted a 1/72 pilot, but this was the first time I put that much detail into one this small. :)

And once again I've gotten some primer on the model and that's where it sits for now.

[image]http://www.use.com/images/s_2/a6826c1de5c75306ffe6.jpg[/image]

I'll update as soon as something happens.

Thanks again for taking a quick look! :) you guys rock!
Stikpusher

Re: 1/72 Airfix Bf 109-E3

Post by Stikpusher »

This should be good... :popcorn:

Repositioning the pilots head is a great touch... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks, Stik. With him sitting so low and his hands molded to his legs I thought this really made him seem less of a bored lump. He seems more relaxed with that slight change.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mikey wrote:Thanks, Stik. With him sitting so low and his hands molded to his legs I thought this really made him seem less of a bored lump. He seems more relaxed with that slight change.
There are a few Monogram 1/48 seated pilots that have some degree of animation. But a little touch like this can really add to that. I like it!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Like the one in the P-51D kit. Not much, but also not scratching his junk and chin at the same time either (F4U-4 pilot) lol!

The 1/48 Airfix pilots are a big step up from those skinny old figures in awkward poses. Lol.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That pilot will certainly be the focal point likeyou intended. :beau:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

thank you! The figures have become one of my favorite parts of my builds. I used to hate painting figures, but a change to acrylic paints and some seriously helpful videos from Dr. Faust and Calvary Miniatures opened my eyes and my thinking on the subject.

Now I love painting figures. In fact, that's why I started this build lol. I just wanted to paint the pilot. Of course I can't just paint the pilot without painting the office, and one step led to the next. :)
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Beautiful job on that pilot, he looks amazing. Way to go!

Yeah, this is one excellent model and is going to look magnificent when you are done. I am also constantly amazed at how small these Me-109's are; especially when I build one after finishing a Focke Wulf.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mikey wrote:Like the one in the P-51D kit. Not much, but also not scratching his junk and chin at the same time either (F4U-4 pilot) lol!

The 1/48 Airfix pilots are a big step up from those skinny old figures in awkward poses. Lol.
Yeah, I dug these guys out last night for ya... they are all 1/48 Monogram painted long ago and salvaged from old builds that went to model heaven...

P-51D driver, B-26 turret gunner, B-24 & B-25 pilots. At least they all have potential. The new figures that were included in the Promodeler B-17, B-24, and PBY kits are even better.

FLSM
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Duke Maddog wrote:Beautiful job on that pilot, he looks amazing. Way to go!

Yeah, this is one excellent model and is going to look magnificent when you are done. I am also constantly amazed at how small these Me-109's are; especially when I build one after finishing a Focke Wulf.
Or a P-47 for that matter.

The 109's just look under scale lol.
Stikpusher wrote:
Mikey wrote:Like the one in the P-51D kit. Not much, but also not scratching his junk and chin at the same time either (F4U-4 pilot) lol!

Yeah, I dug these guys out last night for ya... they are all 1/48 Monogram painted long ago and salvaged from old builds that went to model heaven...

P-51D driver, B-26 turret gunner, B-24 & B-25 pilots. At least they all have potential. The new figures that were included in the Promodeler B-17, B-24, and PBY kits are even better.
Oh boy. My figures used to look like that and that's why I hated painting them so much. Yellow was always a hard color to get solid. Especially with the old bottle Testors enamels. Get those puppies soaking in some DoT3 and repaint them for practice lol. I used to save them too, but most of them have been lost over the years now.

They have better ones in the pro modeler kits? I did not know that!

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”