Bader's Spitfire - Airfix 1/48

Post your completed aircraft here.
Stuart
Elite Member

Bader's Spitfire - Airfix 1/48

Post by Stuart »

Hi All,

WOOHOO!!! Finally completed another 1/48 build! :dancing: This is my build of the old Airfix 1/48 Douglas Bader boxing of the Supermarine Spitfire mk.Va - painted not very well with Humbrol Acrylics and Rattle can clears - built for the current SPAM GB.

I did try a bit of weathering, but it didn't work out so well so I stopped - It's not something I'm very good at. :bag: This is why there are no pictures of the bottom.

Overall I'm reasonalbly happy with it - ish. :hmm:

Things to learn - Still working on the painting, but on the next build I'll be leaving the weathering alone, asides from maybe a wash around the flying controls and UC

Cheers!

(Hope the photo's are ok, still working on my technique).
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: Bader's Spitfire - Airfix 1/48

Post by Thomas_M »

Mate, how old are those moulds? The canopy looks high-speed but the wing would possibly fir a Sunderland... :quotes:
Nice paint job! I cannot see the smallest amount of silvering of the decals!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thomas, the mold for this kit is from the late 70's. Airfix released the Spitfire Vb, Hurricane I, and Me-109F all around the same time.

Stuart, that came out nice enough. And just a thought, but you won't improve on your weathering if you don't work at it. I'll suggest something that makes some aspects super easy- the Tamiya Weathering compacts. They are so simple to use and master.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents!

Thomas - I surprised you thought the paint looked good, coming from yourself that's a real compliment.

Stik - I'll take a look at those, and maybe some form of wash (not humbrols :bag: )

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Tamiya just introduced some wash products, but I have not used them yet or heard anything about them. The only pre made/pre mixed wash that I wholeheartedly recommend is the Promodeller/Flory stuff. Otherwise I'm content to make my own from oils. But washes are only one aspect of weathering.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I did use some of the Tamiya washes over a clear gloss acrylic coat, and I really like how they ran the panel lines and decals. Even better, IMHO, than the MiG washes I have.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

How did those clean up? Did you have to use their thinner, or did they clean up with water?

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Beautiful work, Stuart. I think you built the kit with total integrity! It is a showcase for your talents. Excited for you to continue working at this scale. All the best.

:guitar:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Bruce!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

:that:

Man, you have improved so very much on every build. A joy to watch and see the results.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Completed Builds”