Here Kitty Kitty - Tamiya Leopard A4***COMPLETED***

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Here Kitty Kitty - Tamiya Leopard A4***COMPLETED***

Post by Stikpusher »

This kit was issued before the Leopard 2 entered service, hence the the Leopard A4 designation instead of the later/current Leopard 1A4. This is a typical late 70’s Tamiya kit. Engineered for a simple quick build. They did leave off a few details, so I will be adding those, but this should go fairly rapidly. Just what I need right now.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Re: Here Kitty Kitty - Tamiya Leopard A4

Post by Stikpusher »

So over the past week or so I have been nickle and diming short sessions at my workbench for the Leo. Being an older Tamiya kit, meant that it had the holes in the hull for motorization that needed to be filled. The largest and most noticeable being on the hull sides behind the sprocket. A simple fix, just needing time to dry and more time to sand smooth & flush.

And will all the other parts finally in place I now have the lower and rear hull finished

Next up, the upper hull, where Tamiya forget to include the ice track cleat rack on the front glacis plate, so I will need to do a little scratch work there to rectify that omission.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Not bad for a 70's kit! (That's what I like to say about myself, lol!)
A nice and quick armor build is always a good idea, especially when the sessions are rather short. I found that it's much harder to wrap your mind around a more complex project when you're at the bench for just an hour or so. A compact kit like a tank is the right thing for such occasions.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Exactly! I am starting to hit snags on the Vampire build, so I am turning to something that I know has no such problems, an older Tamiya tank. They are not perfect, but they build up quick and easy.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Subscribed! I am excited to see you build this, Carlos. It would be cool to motorize this... and add more accurate details... hmm. Does this come with instructions how to add the motor... I guess I will have to start researching!
Well—what will be your subject, sir?
And as always, you are the styrene sheet master!
Seams? No way!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

looking good Stik !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks for following Bruce.

I don’t think that Tamiya sells their motorization stuff separately. But you never know. Most of their older 1/35 armor kits were sold in motorized and static display versions. Those that were motorized, had the motor and drive axle already installed. I built a few of them once upon a time. I think if I were to do one today, I would much rather do one of their large 1/16 scale R/C kits. Perhaps one day...

Yesterday evening I installed most of the detail parts on the upper hull.

Once I finish adding the last bits on the glacis, I will start my add on details.

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Moving right along on this one Carlos. I never knew that Tamiya offered motorized versions in this small of scale.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

In 35th their motorized line was extensive. I believe they also had a 1/48 line as well back in the 70’s or so... :hmm:

And yes, this one is moving nice and quick so far.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Keep rolling, bud. I feel a real bond between you and armor... just an observation. You really can do this, keeping the details straight and the colors spot on!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”