AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS-Almost There-03/16

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS-Almost There-03/16

Post by mustang1989 »

I picked this one up a couple of months ago while I was working on the El Camino. This is not only a Holy Grail build for me but also would be a Holy Grail 1:1 vehicle for me. If I could ever get my hands on one for the right price...…. :hmm: . To be very honest about it, these were not fast trucks from the factory. I think the horsepower rating was right about 225 hp and in 1990 it had a TH400 transmission behind it with 3:73 gears. The transmission being only 3 speed automatic made things difficult in an everyday driver due to the 3:73 gears. I guess GM wanted to captivate a middle age audience with the 454 and the nostalgia of the Turbo 400 automatic. In any case in 1991 they got smart and stuck a 4 speed overdrive transmission behind it to help the driveablity out some. In any case they produced on heckuva good looking vehicle and opened the gate for a slew of fast trucks to follow..... and they are HIGHLY sought after now.

Anyways, Here's the kit:

and for giggles.....an original advertisement photo:

speedgraflex

Re: AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS

Post by speedgraflex »

$17.5K in Woodland Hills, California.... I’ll drive it to Texas for ya! Cheers!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh that’s sweet.... if you need a co driver...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wait, I want to come too!

Nice truck Joe, this is going to be a great thread to follow.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Bruce: Now if I just had somebody to buy it for me that would fantastic. :giggles:

Carlos: LOL. You could go in halves with Bruce you know. lololol

Mark: Thanks Mark! Glad to have you along as well potna!!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Copy that, Joe—time to play the lottery! Ya never know. Look forward to your start up stages on this!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Coooooollllll!!!!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Been working on the engine on this one pretty steady and should have some photo shots up by tomorrow morning fellas.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

mustang1989 wrote:Been working on the engine on this one pretty steady and should have some photo shots up by tomorrow morning fellas.

:bored:

:whistle:

;)
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Stikpusher wrote:
mustang1989 wrote:Been working on the engine on this one pretty steady and should have some photo shots up by tomorrow morning fellas.

:bored:

:whistle:

;)
:giggles:

Ok folks....update time.
This kit has a pretty decent engine with lots of parts. The chrome parts all got stripped to include the rocker covers but other than that it's a pretty complete and detailed engine.

And here we are with the assembled base engine and transmission. Believe it or not....this IS some big time progress for me. I spend a lot of time in research and trying to get the details and colors down.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”