Dragon 1/72 Challenger 2

Here is the place to show of your finished armor products.
Stikpusher

Dragon 1/72 Challenger 2

Post by Stikpusher »

My first 1/72 armor build since the early 1980’s. Let’s just say that I was quite impressed by this beautifully detailed kit. It even included PE for some of the engine grills and some access plates on the upper forward hull. A real fun build!

some detail shots

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques welcome.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Re: Dragon 1/72 Challenger 2

Post by speedgraflex »

I was surprised when I first saw you post this subject in 1/72. Truly, your abilities and the kit’s high level of detail are an unbeatable combination, Carlos. I certainly feel there is a real distinct signature to the builders I follow, and your work features exceptional qualities that are your primary focus—the clean foundation for a well chosen camouflage drapery with just the right amount of highlighting and washing to suggest reality without overstepping are hallmarks of your projects. I also really love the orange light. That is the kind of detail that separates extraordinary from average. Congratulations, my friend!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Bruce! You are far too kind in your words. While this was slightly out of my comfort zone, but not by much, it was a fun challenge of sorts. No pun intended. ;)
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That turned out great Stick the camo really makes it pop. Them DS tracks still holding?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Clint. As of last nite the tracks were still good...

Don’t jinx them now ;) Only positive waves about those tracks... :giggles:

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Outstanding job Carlos! What a little beauty! Way to go man!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mark. Coming from the master of 1/72 builds here, that means a lot to me.

Here is a shot of it next to the Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 1 Mk.3 that I built back in 1990 or so...

A nice comparison of scales..

FLSM
Mopar Madness

Post by Mopar Madness »

Awesome Stik! Light-years beyond the old 1/72 Escii armor kits that were around when I was a kid in the 80’s! I have some World War II German armor from Dragon in that scale I need to dig into. Dragon recently announced a new line of 1/144 armor! I’m curious to say the least.
Chad

God, family, models.

At the plate: Something Luftwaffe...
On deck: Something Luftwaffe...
In the hole: Something Luftwaffe I’m sure!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Chad! I hear ya about the quality leap since then. The last 72nd armor kits that I remember building were some Airfix 1/72 M551 Sheridan’s around 1980 or 1981. They were fun and seemed adequate at the time... :hmm:

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes, sensational work and looking good next to the 1/835th scale one. As I mentioned in another boards; you should add a remote control to the TC showing him 'playing' with his RC Challenger from the TC's hatch!

I agree, Dragon really upped the game when they came out with there high-quality 1/72 scale kits. That is, until they dropped the ball with their newest "quick-build" models. The detail is there somewhat, but not the same as their earlier kits. I do still love the old ESCI armor kits though; what a blast it is building them!

Looking great Carlos!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Completed Builds: Armor”