1/48 Monogram B-26B Marauder "Flak Bait"

Post your completed aircraft here.
Stikpusher

1/48 Monogram B-26B Marauder "Flak Bait"

Post by Stikpusher »

As stated earlier, here are the pictures of my build of the old 1/48 scale Monogram B-26B Marauder kit, "Flak Bait".

B-26B-25-MA Serial Number 41-31773 was completed off of the Assembly line in late April 1943. She was flown across the Atlantic and assigned to the 8th Bomber Command in England, 322nd Bomb Group in late May 1943. This group had just introduced the B-26 to combat in the ETO. The 322nd had just stood down after all the B-26s dispatched on a low level strike into Holland had been shot down by fighters and flak, save one which aborted en route to the target.
She would fly over 200 combat missions in the ETO without an abort (207 or 208 depending upon the source), more than any other American bomber in the ETO. Aptly named by her first pilot, Lt. Farrell (after his brother’s dog “Flea Bait”), she took over 1000 holes in her airframe during the course of these missions. During the span of her combat career she would return to base twice on only one engine, survive an engine fire, have her hydraulics shot out once and electrical systems twice. But she always came back, for a total of 725 combat hours in the ETO while assigned to the 449th Bombardment Squadron, 322nd Bomb Group. She would be forward based in France and later Belgium after those areas had been liberated, and end her flying career in Germany before being selected to be sent home for preservation at the Smithsonian due to her distinguished combat career.
On June 1st Flak Bait flew her 100th combat sortie. On June 6th she would fly two more as part of the “maximum effort” put forth by the Allies to support the Normandy Invasion. On the morning of June 6th, the 322nd would dispatch three 16 ship “boxes”. Two were assigned to strike gun batteries near Ouistreham, opposite Sword Beach, while the third box was assigned to strike gun batteries near Utah Beach at Montfarfille. The overcast weather and icing conditions forced the Marauders to fly in under the cloud ceiling at 8000 feet. Many would abort, but not “Flak Bait”. In the afternoon, the full 322nd Bomb Group would fly a strike near Caen. Just a small part of the huge operation that the Normandy Operation was, but overall the B-26s of the 9th Air Force would put in the most effect close air support against the German coastal defenses of any of the Allied bombers that day, especially at Utah Beach.
This is Monogram’s venerable 1/48 scale kit, first issued in 1978. I added a scratch built radio/navigators compartment, tail gunner’s compartment, and added detail to the waist and top gunner’s compartments. All colors used are based off of WWII era color photos of Marauders, and of the actual Flak Bait herself in storage at the Smithsonian Institute.

Thanks for looking! Comments and critiques welcome!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Re: 1/48 Monogram B-26B Marauder "Flak Bait"

Post by CallSignOWL »

fantabulous build!!

I love teh panel fading you've done. Although the neat and clean invasion stripes do make for contast.
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Owl. I wanted to make it look as it would have on June 6th when the stripes were fresh but the aircraft had seen lots of action already.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Absolutely gorgeous Stik. Those old Monogram bomber kits can be quite challenging and you certainly made it look easy. I keep a stash of Quickboot fifties on hand for the same reason. Also, congratulations on your award. I never have any luck at model contests and consider them the :twisted:

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Good show Stik!!!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Joe, this one was quite challenging in it's own ways. Had I stuck to OOB, it would have been a LOT easier... :lol: Gotta remember to ignore those late night inspirations next time... :? But the basic kit is nowhere near as bad as some folks on the internet make it out to be. A little test fitting and corrective action ahead of time goes a LONG way here. Keeping those Quick Boost barrels on hand is a real good idea for future projects of this sort.

Fermis, thank you very much sir! I wish that I had the room for a display base like your Marauder has.

FLSM
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Stikpusher wrote:
Fermis, thank you very much sir! I wish that I had the room for a display base like your Marauder has.
Hey...I don't really have the room either! Mine is parked in "The Detroiter" truck stop, on a "tribute wall" to Ed Volenweider. This second one I'm working on is going the Lou.

Can be seen in this clip...http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Worl ... n/20012696
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Nice one Stik. That "paint first then assemble" worked out fine.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Fermis, I might need to come up with some generic hardstands that I can use at least for IPMS meetings depending upon aircraft type. Presentation is half of the battle there I think.

Borg, yes, it worked as a method, but boy did I have to do a LOT of backtracking and touch ups. It certainly did not save me any time. It just made painting and masking certain areas easier.

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

A great Build Stik!

Has been very nice to follow the build, step by step and now see the end result.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Completed Builds”