Monogram 1/48 F-80C "Salty Dog"

Post your completed aircraft here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Monogram 1/48 F-80C "Salty Dog"

Post by Gary Brantley »

As most of you know by now, I usually take all my model pics at the Cameron Airport. It's only 4 minutes from our house and I like the natural surroundings out there. Lately though, the wind has typically been high and I've had several close call with models wanting to "take off". The wind was really gusting the day I took this F-80 out there and I had to curtail the session early. So, I only have a handful of decent shots. I was also glad that I didn’t knock-off either drop tank. I have disengaged them a couple times just moving the model around the display cabinet!

The model was built pretty much OOB. I did use a section of a ball-point pen for the exhaust and made the two under-side antennae from stretched sprue. I made the three "hinges" that support the gun bay cover from copper wire (I just couldn't get that cover to stay in place without them). The decals are mostly aftermarket too.

In the very first issue of FSM magazine that I ever bought (Jan. ’89), there was an article by the great Bob Steinbrun on converting this old kit into one of the P-80s that were sent to Europe in the waning days of World War Two. Bob did an incredible job and it sort of inspired me several years later when I built this Korean War-era bird. So, here’s the “Salty Dog” at the Cameron Airport. Thanks for taking a look, and as always, all comments are welcomed!

Gary

Last edited by Gary Brantley on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Monogram 1/48 F-80C "Salty Dog"

Post by LyleW »

I do so enjoy those pics...something about being at the airport. Nice work, Gary.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well you bring a model plane to the airport, and what do you think that it is going to want to do? :lol: Seriously though, another great build and photo session! The P-80/F-80 has such classic lines, the crossover from the old to the new. And you have taken another Monogram Classic and done a great job showing them off. Again!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Hey Stik, much appreciated. Ya know how I love me some Monogram. :D The Shooting Star is a classic and a plane that might've just missed it's "greatest calling" by a few months in Europe 1945. Thanks man!
Gary
wasabi
Advanced Member

Post by wasabi »

That's a very nice one and I like you in situ pics ;)

What kind of paint did you use ? It kinds of look like rub N' buff
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

wasabi wrote:That's a very nice one and I like you in situ pics ;)

What kind of paint did you use ? It kinds of look like rub N' buff
Thanks for your kind comments wasabi! That bird is painted with SnJ Aluminum. Some panels were polished with a cotton cloth, some were left "bare" and some areas were polished with SnJ's aluminum powder for a nice shine. I really like the SnJ but alas, it's out of production now. I'm planning on trying Alclad for my next NMF.
Gary
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

As always magnificent pictures.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:As always magnificent pictures.
Thanks Borg! I'm glad you like them. That old warrior turned out okay I think. I got lucky I guess. :lol:
Adam
Advanced Member

Post by Adam »

That just looks great and as the others said very nice pictures!
It's up to you how much money you want to spend and how many new words you want to create "correcting" something.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Adam wrote:That just looks great and as the others said very nice pictures!
Thank you Adam! For each good pic there are a bunch of really crappy ones, lol! I appreciate your kind comments.
Gary

Return to “Completed Builds”