Special Hobby G.50 Freccia

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
lawman56
Advanced Member

Special Hobby G.50 Freccia

Post by lawman56 »

I've been meaning to post this to my blog, but keep getting sidetracked, so figured I'd start posting it here. Hopefully tomorrow I can update my blog.

Anyhow, here's my new build, (no, I haven't finished the Priest yet), the Special Hobby G.50 Freccia. I was hoping to start the B-25, or even the B-17, but still haven't built anywhere to put them yet, so they'll have to wait, (sorry Thomas :D ).

This is it. The build will primarily be OOB, considering I need to do some basic model building, since the crewmen for the Priest are driving me bonkers! :shock: The only AM on this, will be the tires that you see here. Only modification I've made so far, is the addition of some thin styrene sheet behind the upper instrument panel, in an effort to make the two piece panel somewhat passable for the actual thing.

Simple enough. I have to give SH credit here. Even though the instrument panel could use some re-thinking, (at least add the structural support that separates upper from lower :roll: ), the resin is fantastic!

Sorry if the motor is covered in drool........ :roll:

I've actually done much more, however, the old mojo has kicked in and I keep forgetting to stop working long enough to take pics! :D
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
mostrich
Admin

Re: Special Hobby G.50 Freccia

Post by mostrich »

Cool, a very uncommon choice of subject!
I think in the end the paint job is the hardest thing to replicate on those Italian planes.
Have fun!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

Oh oh. That engine.

I wants it!
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Interesting plane. And good luck on the camo, the camo scheme on the box art looks like a bear to replicate.
ImageImageImageImageImage
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

So I managed to take a few more pics this morning. A couple of things anyone who tackles this thing should be aware of. I already made mention of the instrument panel. If you google search the G.50 cockpit, you'll notice a distinct, curved spar that essentially cuts the IP in two. The kit makes no attempt to replicate this, but does provide an upper and lower IP. Both are curved, giving the illusion that they mate. They do not. Nor should they. That being said, I'm scratching a piece of thin styrene in there, in an attempt to at least get proper separation between the two. I know Doogs, (Matt), made mention of this in his build on another forum, but didn't understand until I saw it myself. I'll try to post some pics in the next couple days to illustrate this.

The other things pertain to that fantastic resin engine. First, even though there is very little flash, the resin itself is somewhat soft, so take care when cleaning it up. Very easy to dig a gouge into it. Secondly, depending on the level of detail you'd like, there are no push rods with the kit, so you'll have to make your own. I did for all the cylinders. At a minimum, I'd suggest doing at least the front bank, as it can be seen through the cowl.

This is for you especially, Ms. Owl! :D As you can see, I used styrene rod to replicate the push rods. Took a pin vise and drilled out the holes in both the head and bottom of the rocker arms. Makes it much, much easier to insert. FWIW, the push rods are 9mm long, each! :shock:

Initial coat of paint. I painted the main block in Model Master Gunmetal, the cylinders in MM Steel, and the push rods in Testors Aluminum. I've found this to be a pretty acceptable combination, as the gunmetal gives the illusion of grease and grime build up. The steel will take a black wash nicely, and the aluminum adds just enough gloss to replicate lubricated chrome. Of course you'll have to take my word for it until I get to that stage....

Here you see I've painted the housing in my version of the interior color. Here's where Italian aircraft get really fun. There is no specific FS number that corresponds to the Regia Aeronautica version of "primer". depending on your source, it could be more green, more blue, more grey, etc... After scouring all the builds and forums on the Stormo! site, I found, in my eyes at least, that Model Master Hellblau RLM 78, appears to be closest in scale color. By painting the Gunmetal first, then the Hellblau, you get a sort of pre-shading effect.

Lastly, I just had to throw up the highly detailed, and uniquely designed Italian seatbelts.

Thanks for looking!
Joe

lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:Interesting plane. And good luck on the camo, the camo scheme on the box art looks like a bear to replicate.
Funny you should mention that.....

Thankfully, the kit comes with the decals for 4 different aircraft, 2 of which look like they would drive me batty trying to replicate! One is the traditional green "smoke rings" on a tan background, and the 4th is the one I'm going to try. It's essentially tan blots on a dark olive.

http://www.de-vincentis.net/storiaaeron ... g50-07.jpg

Hopefully, that link works......since I can't seem to post a pic of it :x Stupid work computer.......

If not, Google G.50 freccia, or Maggiore Antonio Gianchino. 151 Gruppo, 53 Stormo.
Joe

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looks good so far, but I count on that! Should be fun to watch.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Oh, that color sheme looks much better to replicate.

ImageImageImageImageImage
steve scan

Post by steve scan »

Coming along really well, I like all of the Macchi fighters.
Getting an education was a bit like getting a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs, then you had the urge to pass it on
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

Did a little more work to my Freccia yesterday, (also finished another Priest crewman, but that's in the other thread). After the engine paint cured, I added a light black wash to it, just to help accentuate the fantastic engine molding.

You can see how it brings out the lines in each cooling fin.

Next up were the modifications to the instrument panel I had mentioned earlier.

Here's the upper panel with a styrene backing I made to straighten the line between the 2 corners.

Next I added a piece of styrene across and perpendicular to the lower panel.

Lastly, I glued them together to simulate the separation between upper and lower IPs.

If you look at images of the actual aircraft, you'll notice a spar that curves from left to right, separating upper and lower instrument panels. Not really sure why this wasn't included in the design of the kit, but I promised myself not to get too crazy or anal with this build. So far I think I'm doing well.

Thanks for looking! :)
Joe

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”