Testor's 1/72 B-2 / F-117 Combo

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Testor's 1/72 B-2 / F-117 Combo

Post by LyleW »

Broke this one out. Thought it would be a fairly easy build since the Missus wants to hang it by her desk in the basement - no landing gear, that sort of stuff. Well, it is a :dogwag: , the wings fit like :poo:! It is a big kit - a wingspan of 28.5 inches. I'll get some pictures in a day or two. We are trying to get ready for our China trip!

The plastic scares me a bit...it feels soft, like a plastic child's toy, and CA doesn't seem to hold it very well. I'm going to the hardware store and get some 1/2" corner braces and some wood screws. That sucker won't move!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Testor's 1/72 B-2 / F-117 Combo

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I have build this kit and found it quite difficult to build. My example was badly warped, wings and center/fuselage.
The kit instructions tell you to first assemble the wings then attach that to the center. I would advice to attach the upper wings to the upper halve center and the lower wings to the lower halve center. Then glue those two assemlies together (does this make sense for you Lyle?).
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yeah, it makes sense... I already took the alternate path, though. There will be a great deal of P S R on this pile of :poo: ! I guess it is due in part to the size of the parts and there are no stiffeners molded in. However, there are gaps along both upper wing halves where they attach to the center section as well as mating issues - ridges. That is probably my fault. :scream:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I would not blame yourself, the fit on this kit is well known to be mediocre. And I recognize your remark about the strange soft/soapy plastic, the whole thing is wobbely. My example also had a huge warp/shrink sink mark on the closed bomb bay door. Is yours better?
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

I'll be watching! Best of luck with the little one coming home soon!!
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Sounds like you got a box of heartache there...
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:I have build this kit and found it quite difficult to build. My example was badly warped, wings and center/fuselage.
The kit instructions tell you to first assemble the wings then attach that to the center. I would advice to attach the upper wings to the upper halve center and the lower wings to the lower halve center. Then glue those two assemblies together (does this make sense for you Lyle?).

I have built this model in the past as well. I only wish it hadn't been stolen. I do have a replacement to build, so maybe someday soon I'll be able to get started on it soon.

I also did the same thing that Borg suggested when I built mine.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Borg - yes, there are sink marks on most every gear bay door, bomb bay door, etc. And, not just a small one or just one....The upper wings are attached, but there is a ridge running the full width, yet it is flush on the underside. Good thing scraping, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, puttying, sanding are my favorite things to do, huh?

Manny - I suppose so. As slow as I am and still somewhat inept, this will certainly keep me busy for a while.

Duke - who would steal a model? I guess the same doofussess (doofii?) that stole a potted plant out of my office one time. Called plant security...they could not find it. I did attach the upper wings to the center and will do the same to the lower. they just don't fit in this kit.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Good luck with all the PSR! That is my least favourite part of a build to.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

LyleW wrote:
Duke - who would steal a model? I guess the same doofussess (doofii?) that stole a potted plant out of my office one time. Called plant security...they could not find it. I did attach the upper wings to the center and will do the same to the lower. they just don't fit in this kit.

You'd be surprised. I've had seven total models stolen from me over time. The first ones were my Stealth, my F-117, my F-5E, and a helicopter that had been on display at USC in the AFROTC building display case.The display was showcasing the USAF 50th anniversary of it's founding and myself and several other modelers had loaned out models of USAF aircraft for it; in addition to several museum exhibits that had also been donated. Just before they were going to close it up and return all the models to us and the museums, someone smashed the case and cleaned it out.

The second round of thefts happened at the 2007 IPMS Nationals in Anaheim. My club was hosting and I had brought a good number of entries. Among them where three extremely rare Aurora civilian aircraft in 1/72 scale: Beechcraft Bonanza, Piper Aztec, and Piper Cherokee. At the end of the show, as I was packing up, some lowlife ripped them out of my boxes and took off. It took me several months and $175.00 to replace those extremely rare models. Now they don't go anywhere anymore!

I just hope that someday the bastard gets caught doing it to someone else!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”