Sh***y family vacation…

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Sh***y family vacation…

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Planned a family vacation to Wilmington, Delaware. Left Sunday, returned last night (Wednesday). Son drove all the way to Wilmington, about 45 minutes into the road-trip said he felt nauseas and a headache. Gave him some crackers to settle his stomach. Seems to help. Traffic was horrible on Rt. 476 in Pa. near Statlington - re-routed around the area due to construction that took us 35 minutes longer. Philly area was bad as well. Did I ever mention how much I hate driving in Pennsylvania?

Arrived at hotel, checked in and my son wanted to rest. The missus and I went out to get a feel of where everything is, places to eat, visit, etc… Let’s not forget, the heat and humidity was horrible with temps in the 90s. Too damn hot to enjoy anything but we both did stuff the best we could. Visited mansions - Hagley, Rockford, Neumours, Winterthur mansions all owned by the Du Pont family - that’s right THE Du Pont family we all know today as DuPont. Had dinner the first night at Chelsea (it’s okay but restaurant didn’t have A/C).

The next two nights, dinner was much better. Ate at Big Fish Grill Monday, Iron Hill Brewery Tuesday - both I highly recommended going to. Right on the Riverwalk - a paved walking trail along side restaurants and businesses they had before the pandemic must’ve killed half of them. Most places were closed on Mondays - some don’t open til Tuesday. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Their mini golf course on the Riverwalk was one place closed where we both could have done during our stay.

Son still in bed resting, says he still has a headache and nauseas. In fact he pretty much stayed in the room the whole duration of our trip. Needless to say, I was heartbroken to see him sick. although no fault of his own. Just bad timing. Monday, he vomited - thankfully I had a hotel garbage bag handy. We have been pushing him to stay hydrated and take Tylenol if needed. Says he has a migraine headache with nausea, dizziness/lightheadedness, chills, and diarrhea. Yup… migraines symptoms. :headslap:

He did manage to eat a little breakfast Tuesday after picking up some Pepto Bismol that morning after he developed diarrhea. I was ready to return home Tuesday but he wanted to stay in to rest. We did ask him if he wanted to go to Urgent care in Wilmington but declined. It was then he told us he may have caught some sort of virus from work since a couple contractors were out with same symptoms. Now he tell us. :headbang: .

Basically, the missus and I went out and make the most of our visit - I tried but I was not enjoying my time but I did the best I could. Wednesday he was a little better on the drive home and I told him I’m doing the driving this time. I didn’t mind it at all but coming home, traffic was worse around Philly area all the way up near the Penn Turnpike due to an accident near the Turnpike - a 1 hour delay to travel 5 miles. Took us at least 45 minutes to get out of the horrible bottleneck traffic. Did I mention how I hate driving in Pennsylvania…. and Pennsylvania drivers? Idiots in a hurry to go nowhere’s and getting in the far left lanes (3 lane highway) then suddenly realizing they have / need to get off at the next exit. What the hell is wrong with them for being in the wrong lane then realizing they have to get off at the next exit? Pure stupidity.

My son was feeling a little better as the day went on. He did call into work today and told his boss he has been sick these last 3 days spending his time in the hotel room trying to recover. He said he will go in to work tomorrow. We did ask if he wanted to go to urgent care and or set up an appointment with our family doctor. He said no. Okaaaay….

He did seem fine this morning but we both told him to call in today if need me. I’d rather have him rest up than get sick on the job.

Will I visit Wilmington again? No. Will I visit Delaware again? I don’t know unless we head further down to the beach towns like Bethany Beach etc… Honestly in my opinion, I’d rather not. I’d rather head up to Maine instead. I love visiting Maine.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Sh***y family vacation…

Post by Medicman71 »

That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope your son feels better soon.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Sounds like quite the bummer trip Tom. Glad your son is on the mend.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Does not sound very enjoyable at all. Oh the joys of tourist season when folks like to all vacation at the same time. Your son's nausea and headaches made me think heat casualty/dehydration as those are both symptoms of those injuries. Particularly when you mean the weather there. But then the diarrhea is not consistent with those. But he certainly needs to stay hydrated. Doubly so between the weather and the bowel troubles, as combined they will dehydrate him even more quickly.
Hope you and your family have a better day today.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Yup. I 100% agree. We were busting his chops to stay hydrated by drinking water. Ginger Ale came into play with nausea to settle his stomach and eat a little. It helped him somewhat. Especially to get sugar levels up in his body so he don't pass out. He said he almost felt like he was about to. Gave him some cereal bars we packed, banana, apple, whatever we could give him. Ginger ale did help alot though.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Sometimes it happens at the worst times. Glad he's starting to feel better
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Ah man that sucks Tom, I'm sorry to hear that - it's not fun when people get sick on Holiday, I've had to cut them short for that as well.

As someone who suffers from regular migraines and nausea, and sometimes daily headaches I really feel for you son - It's a shitty way to feel. I hope he feels better soon.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Sorry you had a tough vacation,heat and humidity really make you not want to do anything outdoors,not to mention your sons sickness.I once lost a day and a half on vacation due to vertigo just laying in the hotel bed trying to hold on while the whole room was spinning.
Wishing you a better trip on your next one.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is a tough bit of luck, Tom. Sorry that you had to deal with all t hat. Good to hear that your son is better. It is sad that the policies during COVID killed so many businesses and still are affecting things today.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Well, some vacations are just better than others. Think of the stories you'll have. :grin:
It is sad that the policies during COVID killed so many people who might've otherwise been saved. Those folks are still being missed too. :sad:

Return to “Free Discussion”