1/72 Focke Wulf 190-D9 times TWO!

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

1/72 Focke Wulf 190-D9 times TWO!

Post by VanceCrozier »

So I haven't done a great deal of building over the past few months, then got really excited about building a little 1/72 190D9 from Hasegawa. Got into it and was making quick progress, so quick that I decided to double up my efforts. So I dug a little deeper and found an Academy boxing as well. Double-Dora-9s!! Collecting my posts from another forum, so if a day reference seems off, it's not you, it's me. :tongue:

I've got multiple butcher birds in the stash, opened up the top crate & sitting on top was THIS option:

Nothing like a clean-building, no-hassle Hasegawa kit to get my motor running again for the fall. Already cleaned up and painted the interior bits & fuselage sides. IT's ON!!!!
I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Re: 1/72 Focke Wulf 190-D9 times TWO!

Post by VanceCrozier »

Cockpit & interiors have all been painted a medium-gray Humbrol, need to dry a bit more before I can gloss'em and add the decals tonight. Masking tape belts have been cut. Canopy is staying closed on this one, so I won't be spending much time in there.

In the meantime, the cockpit tub can be inserted from below, so I went ahead & sealed up the fuselage. I'd forgotten how LONG this machine is. Love the lines.

I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, smothered in Canadian bacon.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

---> HEY LOOK!!!!
An old build!!!! <---
--------------------------------->

That actually blends in with the background a li'l bit. [hmm] Will need to do new pics when I move it.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

All this Focke-Wulf-erry gives me an excuse to dig out my old oversized "Jane's FW 190" book.

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Despite the girls taking over my bench (aka, the kitchen table) last night, I got some work done on the couch, while watching the ball game, with an agent on either side of me. This is a secure site folks.

Agent 003 approves....

Cockpit done up with Hase decals. It's been awhile since I last built a 190. Did a test fit & realized at this scale, very little is visible. No extras added in here in favour of MAKING PROGRESS! Masking tape harness.

Lower wing section in place. I tried it this way just to try out the "adjust the uppers to fit flush afterwards" method. However, a quick dry-fit proves that Hasegawa's engineering ROCKS on this one, and there really shouldn't be any fiddling necessary anyway.

Already painted the gear bays as I had the paint out anyway. I cheated here, used the cockpit colours. I'll seal that up & mask it when it's time for the underside colour.
VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Second FW 190 kit being built...

Clear parts are fine.

Detail is good, not as good as the Hase kit though.

Surface texture not as good as Hase, but nothing BAD,

Wheels & gear bays aren't as good as the Hase kit either.

Decals - Academy decals seem to take a lot of grief, but I've really never had any horrible ones?

Going with the second option, cuzz, "" 13 "" , but the other option looks good too.

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Annnnnnd where I am with the Hase kit. Slight step at the wing root, so I sanded it down slightly, then glued it in place.

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Academy kit, Agent 001 observes:

Academy kit, cockpit before I sealed it in:

VanceCrozier
Advanced Member

Post by VanceCrozier »

Double Dora-on-Dora action! The pair with seams cleaned up, thin coat of primer on & buffed:

The Academy kit, after two thin coats of Testors flat white from the good ol' glass bottle. Nothing wrong with that stuff.

Stripes masked & spaced. I had cut my tape to 2mm strips, I think they ended up being slightly too wide, although cutting 1.5mm ??? Does Tamiya tape come in tiny fractions like that?

And with the masking removed. I kind of dusted the red on, from a greater distance than usual, to try & minimize the chance of bleed. VERY happy with that except for one of the gear bay covers. I was losing can pressure, had just dialed up the A/B volume to make up for it, overcompensated and laid down a full-on wet coat. [doh] A little repair seems to be in order.

Just to add a little variety, the drop tank is only getting red on the underside. This whole red + white thing was a recognition aid for the AA gunners, no reason for the TOP of a drop tank to be red. Right?

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”