1/32 Revell P-39D

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Fermis
Addicted Member

1/32 Revell P-39D

Post by Fermis »

The kit (re-box of the Special Hobby...limited run)

Lots of time spent cleaning up parts...moulds are a bit sloppy. For the most part, detail is decent, but could use some more. I'm not planning on adding much at all. I did scratch up a new seat, kit part is clunky and a bit short looking.

Bell had their own "interior green", pretty close to MM enam. "Medium Green". I did a preshade and sent some MM "Medium Green" through the a/b. IP is decals (provided), and I scratched up the harness with Tamiya tape and bits of wire and whatnot for the buckles.

The fuselage looks a bit stubby, to my eye. Normally, measurements don't really concern me...this one just didn't please my eye, and for the first time ever, I decided to cut and plug.

Just waiting for the IP to dry, then I can close this sucker up!
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Revell P-39D

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

A 1/32 kit gets the Fermis treatment. This is bound to be good.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:A 1/32 kit gets the Fermis treatment. This is bound to be good.
That's what I was thinking... :that:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Closed up the poor fitting fuse halves this morning.
A dry fitting the wings revealed a host of issues...big, fat trailing edges being one of them...that sort of thing bugs the hell out of me. The top wing half tapered down nicely enough, so I decided to scratch some flaps, to pose open (I LOVE IT!!!). I also added shims along the wing roots (on fuselage side) to help the wing/fuse joint.

Back to the others, while this one dries.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Not to nitpick or to be a JMN but I do have a question about the fuselage plug. How did you come to the conclusion that the fuselage is to short? I have never heard of this observation before except for a review article by Tom Cleaver in which he specifically states that the fuselage lenght is good. On basis of which sources did you come to a different conclusion?

" I have compared the fuselage, with the rudder and spinner, with published dimensions, and it is spot-on for length. "

Source:
http://modelingmadness.com/review/allie ... mc3239.htm

Just be make it clear, I am not trying to devaluated your conclusion. You might have found a flaw that everybody missed. So it is good to know what is the source of this finding.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

JimD wrote:This is looking good, but man this kit doesn't look all that great. I have considered it before, probably glad I've passed up until now.

BorgR3mc0 wrote:Not to nitpick or to be a JMN but I do have a question about the fuselage plug. How did you come to the conclusion that the fuselage is to short? I have never heard of this observation before except for a review article by Tom Cleaver in which he specifically states that the fuselage lenght is good. On basis of which sources did you come to a different conclusion?

" I have compared the fuselage, with the rudder and spinner, with published dimensions, and it is spot-on for length. "

Source:
http://modelingmadness.com/review/allie ... mc3239.htm

Just be make it clear, I am not trying to devaluated your conclusion. You might have found a flaw that everybody missed. So it is good to know what is the source of this finding.

I believe he said "this one just didn't please my eye" which is sometimes the only justification some people need. :chair:
:that:
Just to please my eye. :kissing:
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

I love your P-39 but love your TBD even more!!!

Glad you corrected the fuselage length---I've read many a review about it being too short...
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Manny1943 wrote:I love your P-39 but love your TBD even more!!!

Glad you corrected the fuselage length---I've read many a review about it being too short...
I rarely read reviews...I really don't need any discouragement!!! I will occasionally though, just to see how others have dealt with some issues. I was just looking at some to see what others have done with the very poor fitting wing/fuselage join.
That said..I found this!

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index ... 398&page=1

Guess maybe my eye knows something?!!!

(...and now back to the TBD for more issues!)
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Fermis wrote: :that:
Just to please my eye. :kissing:
Okay, that clears it all up. I am a proponent of the "build what you want, the way you want" school of modelling so that is reason enough for me.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”