Eduard Mig-21bis 1:48 FAF

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Eduard Mig-21bis 1:48 FAF

Post by KSaarni »

Hi all,

My previous and at the same time first public WIP was not finalized ever (the hellcat) but hopefully this project will:

Eduards 1:48 Mig-21BIS in Finnish Air Force camo.

Work started some days ago and so far just minor stuff has been built... Partially to get used to new limited workspace I have.... Partially because missing some essential paint for the cockpit and therefore could not proceed as planned...

But I must say, this kit is wonderful ! Very much so, will not be my last Eduard Mig-21, that is for sure!

Some test-fitting first, of all the major parts..

Work on details, such as the seat. Even the "standard" seat is a master piece.

Instruction booklet tells the ejection seat should be grey, but that is not really the whole thruth when it comes to Finnish Air Force Mig-21:s . Only the first Mig-21s that were delivered had grey ejection seats. This particular plane (MG-129) was not among them, so therefore the "harness" of the ejection seat should be black instead of grey. 1st base layer of black done. In the picture the black looks more like dark-grey, but it is black.. :-) Still pretty much work to do with the seat...

Also, this particular plane was repainted in October 1988. When the planes were delivered from Soviet Union, all the planes had a little bit of there own camo. Also a number of different green tones... In other words, not a single Mig-21 was identical.. So in 1988, Finnish Air Force decided to re-paint the Mig's.
At the same time the insignia was also reduced to a smaller (and much cooler) size.

Some other stuff that has been done...

Let's see what tomorrow brings..

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
nathant
Advanced Member

Re: Eduard Mig-21bis 1:48 FAF

Post by nathant »

Ohh, awesome! Those wheel bays look perfect. Double check the position of the head rest on the seat though.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

nathant wrote:Ohh, awesome! Those wheel bays look perfect. Double check the position of the head rest on the seat though.
Thanks Nathant for the feedback,

and "good grief" what a stupid error I made with that head rest ! :scream:

So, while fetching the missing colors from my LHS, I had to take with me also a Mig-21 bis "weekend edition" to get a new seat...
To remove the head rest without casualties... mission impossible...

Back to building site ....

- Kari
---
On the bench:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Very nice kit and a tremendous so far. More, please.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Lyle!

- Kari
---
On the bench:

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

The main program of today was to go and fetch paints for the cockpit:

The key ingredients, H46 Emerald Green and H25 Sky Blue

mixed more or a less exactly 50-50

and the result, I would humbly say, pretty much perfectly aligned with the pre-painted PE set from Eduard. Still some modest weathering to be done in the pit.

I even tried to save the poor seat... and think I can still use it...Even if the seat did not look so good just after decapitating the head rest... Got though some real weathering on the seat.. :-)
But after some painting and attaching the PE belts etc I think I will be satisfied with it..

BUT, an issue arised when making some dry-fits with the seat...
It does not fit in the pit if Eduards instructions are to be followed (i.e after the fuselage halves are glued together then the seat is "dropped" in it's place).

So it seems that I need to glue it into place before gluing the fuselage halves together.
Not a show stopper, but postpones further the first milestone of the build, something I really had planned to achieve for today... to join those two halves together.. That is in my "modelling world" the 1st milestone in an aircraft build.

Let's see what next

- Kari
---
On the bench:

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Did not (so far) have that much time with my Mig today, "post-Christmas" activities took more time than anticipated...

My love-hate relation to PE parts and especially the gluing part reminded again of itself.. The seat belts had to be attached to the seat..
After an hour, with many breaks (my eyes are not that good anymore I realize. I need to start considering getting a magnifying lamp), some glued fingers, one part missing (not luckily that visible) the result was accomplished.

Not that bad result, though could have been better.. But taking in consideration the tragic history of the poor seat, I think the result is more than ok.. :-)

The headrest need still some final touch, the decal is too "decalish" and need some attention still..

In the same round I painted also the nose cone, this wonderful bright green color (H26)

Let's see what next...

- Kari
---
On the bench:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nice work on the seatbelts. I love to hate PE! Sometimes the glue sets, sometimes it doesn't. Great looking build.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Good job on saving the head rest, Kari! Same for mixing the two colours to get close to this interior colour.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Lyle and Thanks Thomas!

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”